SATURN AND THE NODAL AXIS
A conjunction of Saturn and the North Node
will occur on September 25th 2013; at 12.58pm GMT; 9°25' Scorpio.
You'll notice in the date lists below that the synodic cycle (from one conjunction to the next) is 11-12 years.
This underlines Saturn's relationship with Jupiter, whose cycle is likewise 11-12 years.
The two 'gas giants' on the outer edge of the visible solar system, Jupiter and Saturn, are a pair of complementary opposites
which rule the solstitial signs of Sagittarius and Capricorn, respectively.
Here are a few examples of this:
Let's explore the conjunction of Saturn and the North Node.
What does this mean and how might we approach it?
The Nodal Axis locates the place in the zodiac where eclipses occur. Each 'eclipse season' usually contains a pair of eclipses, one Solar and one Lunar, at the New and Full Moon respectively, although this does vary from year to year. An 'eclipse season', therefore, lasts from about a week before the first eclipse until about a week after the second one. The effect of an eclipse season may be long-lasting, depending on whether it is activating something in your own horoscope. But in general, eclipse seasons offer an opportunity to withdraw (like the light of the Sun or Moon 'withdraws') and spend time in meditation and reflection. There is an ancient tradition in Vedic astrology (the astrology practised in India) which holds that karmic issues are magnified during an eclipse season, and so one is encouraged to be mindful and take care at these times. They are auspicious times for inner work - for prayer, meditation and purification - as the benefit of these activities is also magnified. In psychological terms, we can see and feel that during eclipse seasons our contact with 'the unconscious' is heightened, and we benefit from being ready and willing to meet that in compassion and a spirit of enquiry. Contracting our sphere of activity and emotional involvement with others can be useful at these times.
Saturn enters the orb of its conjunction with the North Node in mid-August 2013,
and will be within that orb until about the middle of November.
This takes in the annual eclipse season, and strengthens its energy:
|Lunar Eclipse||October 18th||23.49 GMT||25°45' Aries|
|Solar Eclipse||November 3rd||12.46 GMT||11°15' Scorpio|
Saturn is the 'Lord of Karma', and the Nodal Axis is sometimes called the 'Axis of Destiny'.
Saturn is also the Lord of 'Time, Heritage and Substance' and so this period is one in which the 'forces of destiny are likely to be strongly at work in our lives. Pay attention to synchronicity, watch your dreams, let yourself be guided, and commit to take action where it is indicated. Things take shape and form where Saturn is involved, and we are invited to 'put our money where our mouth is', meaning to 'make real' that which 'matters' to us, moving from the realm of theory into the world of practicalities, shape and form.
Saturn is the Lord of 'matter', so expect some of the following:
- Getting the strength to face practical or emotional things you've been putting off. Bringing order to chaos.
- Being 'pursued' by things you thought you had dealt with. What goes round comes round ...
- Getting clear on the inner meaning of past events. The clarity of Saturn is quiet, sober, relieving, and is a gift given, not something 'attained' ...
- Being able to 'give substance' to things which 'matter' to you. Saturn's low-key sense of fulfillment ...
- Experience of delays and blocks, things 'snagging up' - notice your reactions. Best submit, be prayerful and wait this time through ...
- Becoming aware of how you spend your 'time inbetween' different activities in your life. Can be shocking, or amusing, this ... how much time we waste ... how can we redirect this energy?
- Insight about authority issues in your life - Who's running your show? Whose show are you trying to run?
- You see where some 'future streams' are flowing to ... the law of 'consequences' ...
- You become aware of certain trajectories or processes in your life which are ending, or which have already ended although you are still 'pretending' ... sadness is felt ... peace follows ...
- The mood can be sombre, solemn, pensive at times ... honour this ...
Mark out that week in your diary, (September 20th - 27th, approximately) and note especially the weekend before the exact conjunction (September 21-22, also the Equinox!). Try to keep this time as open as possible. Consider going into 'Hermit' mode, even if you are busy with work and family. Indeed, one of the gifts of Saturn's capacity to hold and contain energy is that our inner life remains protected even in the midst of pressure and responsibility.
Let yourself feel like a Hermit, dwelling in a remote cave, while in the midst of 'it all'!
Plan some Saturnian activities for that week
(or use the whole two-month period, if you wish)
Try a 'speech fast' for one day. It might take some planning, but it is a good discipline which rests the nervous system and left-brain, and allows the intuition to speak from a deeper place as the mind begins to clear.
Dare to take it further - give up the following:
If you do have a favourite place you like to go for a 'formal' retreat, that's great. Book yourself in!
But if you don't, make one for yourself. Pretend you are a Hermit, and do whatever you can to create 'formal' but self-directed retreat at home, even in the midst of all the busy-ness of Life. Be creative with it.
Whatever practices you do, allow extra time for them.
If you've not established a connection with a teacher or a practice, this might be a good time to do so. Click here for suggestions.
Try doing chores like washing up or cleaning in a meditative way ... focus on one activity at a time, bring full awareness to it, be mindful ...
Best to do this under the supervision of your health care professional if you are not experienced with fasting or have any health issues.
However, most of us can benefit by a simple de-tox of things we know we'd be better off eating or drinking less of -:) Try, for example, giving up drinks which contain caffeine for this week. Or just give up sugar and anything which contains added sugar.
Drink plenty of water.
If you eat meat, try a week without it.
Try it ! Black is one of the colours of Saturn, and is also the colour associated with mourning. Never mind whether or not black 'suits you' ... just allow the vibration of black and the feeling of the colour to support your 'Saturn-Node retreat'.
Explore the feeling of melancholy, if it should arise. The 'melancholic humour' in Medieval medicine was ruled by Saturn, and much valued as a gateway to philosophical depth and insight. In our contemporary world, the merest hint of such a state is likely to be pathologized and medicated, banished with drugs or distractions ...
Get curious. Imagine you were forced to wear black all the time. How would that be? Who does this? "Go figure", as they say ...
'I am Saturn, Shani, he who moves slowly,
devoted to attachment and stability .....'
You will find this comes naturally if you do some of the above.
If you keep a journal, allow yourself time to work with this.
If you decide to do any of the above, you'll be exercising the quality of discipline, much valued by Saturn!
The word comes from the same root as 'disciple' ... what does that suggest to you?
There are some suggestions below the date lists, for you to try out ... enjoy them but also do allow space for your own questions to arise.
Set some 'formal' time aside, prepare your sacred space, and relish the process ...
Saturn conjunct North Node:
Sat Cnj Nod 3 May 1911 09°Ta58' D
Sat Cnj Nod 24 Jul 1922 02°Li51' D
Sat Cnj Nod 12 Feb 1934 19°Aq19' D
Sat Cnj Nod 6 Jun 1945 10°Cn30' D
Sat Cnj Nod 17 Oct 1956 00°Sg42' D
Sat Cnj Nod 25 Apr 1968 17°Ar53' D
Sat Cnj Nod 17 Jul 1979 10°Vi47' D
Sat Cnj Nod 21 Jan 1991 28°Cp03' D
Sat Cnj Nod 6 Jun 2002 18°Ge04' D
Sat Cnj Nod 25 Sep 2013 09°Sc25' D
Sat Cnj Nod 14 Apr 2025 26°Pi02' D
Saturn conjunct South Node
Sat Cnj SNo 3 Nov 1905 26°Aq12' D
Sat Cnj SNo 4 Sep 1916 26°Cn38' D
Sat Cnj SNo 27 Jan 1928 16°Sg13' D
Sat Cnj SNo 16 Jan 1940 24°Ar45' D
Sat Cnj SNo 19 Oct 1950 26°Vi41' D
Sat Cnj SNo 15 Oct 1962 04°Aq47' D
Sat Cnj SNo 13 Sep 1973 03°Cn43' D
Sat Cnj SNo 3 Jan 1985 24°Sc59' D
Sat Cnj SNo 15 Jan 1997 02°Ar15' D
Sat Cnj SNo 12 Oct 2007 04°Vi37' D
Sat Cnj SNo 20 May 2019 20°Cp11' R
Sat Cnj SNo 23 Jun 2019 18°Cp21' R
Sat Cnj SNo 15 Sep 2019 13°Cp54' D
Note that the word contains almost the whole word 'temple'.
The Latin word templum refers to a space made sacred by the gods, in which the augurs do their work.
From this definition, the horoscope is like a templum.
The diviners in the picture below are looking at the temple of the heavens, and they have drawn out a corresponding space on the earth below, also watching the omens there.
Saturn-Node questions for Contemplation
- What really matters to me? Contemplation 'Everything matters, nothing matters' ...
- Contemplation on the FEELING of being Guided ... where does it register, in your Body, Feelings and Mind? What is that like?
- Visualise or draw the symbol of Saturn ... follow the lines, let them speak. What do you see? What comes to mind and heart?
- Visualise or draw the symbol for the North Node, or both North and South Nodes ... follow the lines, let them speak. What do you see? What comes to mind and heart?
- Using the above date list, scan your life. Do you see any connection between now and the previous periods of time when Saturn was conjunct the North Node? If so, what are these connections? What can you learn by reflecting on 'back then' which can help you now?
- Contemplate the meaning of Time ... it is 'fashionable' in some circles to refer to Time as an illusion. How does this sit with you? What, for you, is Time? How do you relate to it? How does Time feel to you? Try completing this sentence .... "Time is........." Do it several times and make a poem of your thoughts.
Finally, treat all the above as a sadhana.
Consider setting a personal goal beforehand, and use the suggestions above to help you realise your goal. Make your goal one which will benefit yourself and others, and one which is congruent with the energies of Saturn.
Examples of such goals:
To clarify thinking
To evaluate 'where I am in my life'
To be open to Guidance
To balance excess (in any area of life)
To give gratitude and to pay debts (emotional and financial)
To cultivate discipline